Kupuohi means to flourish and grow.
Our Kupuohi Education program strives to teach students, pre-k to post college, about sustainability, science, language arts, Hawaiian Culture, land-stewardship with exciting hands-on, experiential activities. Our goal is to inspire students to learn about and to care for their environment while developing their sense of place.
Field trips generally begin at 9am and finish at 12:30pm (depending on bus availability).
Your day starts with a welcoming oli and an introduction to Loko Ea and Hawaiian Fishponds. Each school group participates in a Mālama ʻĀina Lesson, where the group helps the restoration efforts at the pond, the learn how their actions benefit Loko Ea and in turn enhance the sense of place and the importance of stewardship. Restoration projects includes anything from clearing invasive grasses from the pond, to removing sand and debris from the channels, to planting native plants. The remaining lessons can be tailored to the each group.
Teachers can select from the following fieldtrip themes and activities:
- Wai (water)– Watersheds and Ahupuaʻa, Water Cycle, Water Quality Testing, Watershed Pollution
- Iʻa (fish)– Body parts of a Fish, Fishing Regulations, Fish Observations, Fish Dissection, Throw Net
- Mea Kanu (plants)– Moʻolelo of Laniwahine, Seed dispersion, Plant Scavenger Hunt, Native Plant Propagation
- Puʻuhonua- Critter ID and Critter Count (Limited availability)
- Waiola Project- our year-long program where students perform monthly: basic water quality testing, take observations of Loko Ea and fish behavior. Over the 2015-2016 school year, schools will be synthesizing data from the last two years into a moon calendar for Loko Ea. (Please inquire for more information, limited based on grant funding)
To request a fieldtrip, please complete the online fieldtrip application or email email@example.com for a PDF Application:
We work to accommodate all the groups who want to visit Loko Ea however field trips are allocated on a first-come, first served basis.
Weather Cancellation Policy
Please note fieldtrips will be postponed or cancelled incase of forecasted lightening storms or severe rain (24-hours prior to your visit) or a state-issued hurricane warning (48-hours prior to your visit). Loko Ea will make every effort to reschedule your trip incase of weather cancellation.